The optimal price-quality ratio, the ability to automate the dewatering complex, high efficiency and low operating costs are the factors that influenced the choice of the Esmil Tsurumi multi-disc screw press dehydrator MDQ. This type of equipment perfectly solves the problems of water utilities related to increasing the efficiency of dewatering by automating the process, reducing maintenance costs and finally reducing the cost of storing/transporting dewatered sludge.
Ivano-Frankivskvodoekotechprom municipal wastewater treatment plant’s specialists were interested in reducing the water content of sludge generated at WWTP, as well as, reducing its volume and obtaining transportable, non-liquid sludge (cake). In 2021, they turned to Esmil Group. In July 2021, the company conducted pilot tests that proved the effectiveness of the multi-disc screw press dehydrator MDQ in solving the tasks. As a result, a sludge dewatering complex based on Esmil Tsurumi multi-disc screw press dehydrator MDQ 452C together with a screw conveyor was put into operation at municipal wastewater treatment plant in 2022.
- Type of sludge – raw sludge;
- Hydraulic capacity – 12-14 m3/h;
- Average capacity of the equipment is about 400 kg of DS/h per screw, a total – 800 kg of DS/h;
- Dry matter content in the inlet sludge ranges from 4-5% (depending on each individual clarifier);
- As a result of dewatering, dewatered sludge reaches 78% moisture (before the modernization, the moisture content was 95.2%; its reduction allowed to reduce the weight of utilized sludge by an average of 5 times, which reduced the area of sludge clarifiers and groundwater pollution).
The advantages of using the sludge dewatering complex based on Esmil Tsurumi Multi-Disc Screw Press MDQ:
- Energy efficiency and energy saving. The special design of the sludge and the principle of operation of the dehydrator ensure high energy efficiency and low polymer consumption.
- Dewatering of sludge with a high content of fats and oils.
- Sludge dewatering in a wide range of concentrations. The dehydrator dewatering drum includes a gravity thickening zone and a dewatering zone. Therefore, the equipment can process sludge with a dry matter content in the range from 0.2-0.5% to 10%.
- Continuous automatic operation. The screw drum with special self-cleaning disc mechanism does not need to be stopped for cleaning.
- The drum design provides high reliability and ease of operation. Two or more drums can be applied in one dehydrator. Drums can be maintained without stopping the equipment.
- High equipment reliability. The dehydrators are made completely of stainless steel AISI 304 or AISI 316; an explosion-proof version of electrical accessories is also possible.
- Minimal secondary contamination and ease of maintenance. Semi-closed construction with low speed and low noise. The sludge does not splash, the dry matter remains in the cake.
- Low costs on maintenance staff. Manual and automatic operation, as well as remote access without staff.
- Low capital costs. Compact size – dehydrators can be installed in container wastewater treatment plants and mobile plants.
- Low operating costs. Screw drives with a low-rated power and low speed controlled by frequency converters makes it possible to provide a minimum energy consumption.
- Convenient operation and maintenance. Long-term operation of the equipment and minimized maintenance.
- There are two main types of MDQ/MDQ-C multi disc screw dehydrators with different components.
This resulted in the start-up of the Esmil Tsurumi multi disc screw press dehydrator MDQ 452C in the municipal sewage system of the WWTP Ivano-Frankivskvodoekotehprom.
The client was satisfied with the performance of the Esmil equipment. Esmil Group is always happy to participate in interesting projects and improve the wastewater treatment system.